Sunday, September 2, 2007

SHOP: Artisanal Cheese - Abbaye de Belloc



This sheep's milk cheese from France is made in the traditional manner by Benedictine Monks at the abbey of Notre-Dame de Belloc, located in the Western Pyrenees. It is a semi-hard cheese with a strong flavor that is smooth, buttery, fruity, and nutty, and has a high fat content. I have learned, thanks to the Cowgirl Creamery website, that the milk for this cheese is brought into the monastery from the neighboring farms. After tasting several cheeses at Cowgirl, this one stood out as one of my personal favorites, just like the cheesemonger gal who sold it to me. Current price: $27.99/lb.

Available through Cowgirl Creamery Artisanal Cheeses, either online or at their store, located at the SF Ferry Building Marketplace.

1 comment:

simon said...

well written, affectionate, and interesting blog.
I thought about including a link to your site on my blog.

if you ever get the chance, come visit me back

Best,
Simon

my blog is www.BrawnyHunk.com (not nearly as superficial as it sounds ;-) )