Wednesday, September 5, 2007

BOOK: The French Chef Cookbook by Julia Child



I inherited a well-worn copy of this book many years ago from an ex-boyfriend (the same ex who got a copy of The French Laundry Cookbook for Christmas, and never attempted to cook from it during the entire time we were together). Published in 1968, this book was the result of the TV program "The French Chef", intended to teach as much French cooking technique as could be learned in several seasons of weekly half-hour programs.

Julia Child covers so many French classics: Coq au vin, Quiches, Crepes, Boeuf Bourguignon, Pates, Aspics, Cassoulet, Duck a L'orange, Brioches, Souffle....and goes on to describe techniques such as how to debone a leg of lamb, how to roast a suckling pig, basic sauces (Hollandaise, Bearnaise), blanching bacon, wine storing, chocolate melting, and so much more. I always go back through this book when I need a reference on how to do something. I am hardly a master at French cooking, but with Julia's helpful hints, I feel much less like une imbecile in the kitchen. This is definitely a "must-have" for any aspiring cook.

3 comments:

renn208 said...

Have you seen/do you have La Technique (or more recently Complete Techniques) by Jaques Pepin?

There's also a VHS series that is pretty bomb.

renn208 said...

oh I forgot to mention...the other essential technique book that I have is on cooking by labensky and house. It's pretty much cooking school in a book.

BernaD*va said...

I have heard of La Technique (merci, Anthony Bourdain) but have not actually seen the book. I heard there's a great section on knifework!